Check out our packing guide to make sure you're covered for your time in Phu Quoc. Because there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing :).
TO WEAR WHILE SAILING- 1. Swim wear & board shorts-
Get ready for the ocean. Bring along your swim wear and shorts. And your sunny self :)
2. Rash guard-
To protect from the sun while on the boat. Full sleeves is better to protect more skin area. If you don't have one, wear any dry fit t-shirt.
3. Sunscreen, sunglasses, cap/ hat- The sun can be strong. Bring along UV protected sunglasses and sunscreen. Also bring along cap/ hat that doesn't get damaged with water.
GENERAL/ EVENING WEAR-
1. Shorts/ Loose cotton pants/ cotton tshirts/ dresses General wear for island vibes :)
2. Underclothes A pair or two a day.
3. Flip-flops & sports shoes- Flip flops for the beach & general island hang out :)
Bring along sport shoes, if you're into hiking. Phu Quoc has a few lovely nature trails.
4. Light jacket Evenings can be chilly, specially when riding on a scooty.
5. Rain jacket/ umbrella Phu Quoc does get some occasional showers.
ACCESSORIES & MISCELLANEOUS
1. Water bottle Fill water from your accommodation to carry with you for training. Lets avoid buying single use plastic bottles.
2. Day pack To carry with you to the training with your water bottle, sunscreen, sunglasses etc
3. Quick dry towel
4. US Dollars or Vietnamese Dong INR is difficult to convert in Phu Quoc. Bring along USD with you. You can convert at the airport or at local exchanges.
5. Sim card
Best to have a local sim for seamless internet and easy coordination. Available to buy at airport arrival. Mobiphone is a reliable network, with 4GB/ day available for approx 30k dong/ INR 1000.
If you own one, bring it along with a waterproof case. Click some great footage while on the boat.
7. Waterproof phone case
If you would like to take you phone aboard. Or else you can leave it behind in the school.
8. Toiletries-The usual- Soap, shampoo, moisturizer, toothbrush and tooth paste. Sanitary needs for the ladies.
9. Entertainment & electronics Bring along any musical instruments if you play, or sports gear if you have like a swimming goggles or slackline. Speakers/ kindle/ book are a traveller's best friend too.
10. Small first aid kit + Corona kit Best to carry some basic medicines for cold, fever, loose motions, ointment for aching muscles, some band-aids and any other personal medication. Don't forget your mask and sanitiser. The new basics.
11. Others Passport, phone charger, personal medicines etc.
12. Last but not the least, some spunk! That’s the difference between you and the next door Joe who didn’t sign up for sailing :D Note- This is simply a suggestion. Please add/remove as per your needs. Images are merely to give an example. Please replace with nearest items from your existing wardrobe. Sustainability & functionality > appearance, always :)
Nitisha Sethia is an outdoor sport practitioner and founder of Adventure Play. Ex-McKinsey & Co. and IIM Ahmedabad, Nitisha left her corporate job to follow her passion in the outdoors.
Adventure Play is a one-stop platform to discover & learn new outdoor sports.